Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament

Go down

Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament Empty Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:07 am

19/06/2011 14:49
Erbil, June 19 (AKnews) – The Kurdistan parliament will discuss a bill on domestic violence tomorrow, which proposes the criminalization of female circumcision.

The trend, is more widespread in Kurdistan than the surrounding countries, despite awareness raising campaigns carried out by civil society organizations and the media.

It is practiced particularly commonly in rural areas. A German-Iraqi study conducted in 2007/08 showed more than 77 percent of female interviewees aged 14 and over in the Kurdish province of Sulaimaniya had undergone the procedure.

The practice is often carried out at home and by people without medical training. When not done properly the girls, who are often as young as ten, can have lasting damage and in extreme cases die from loss of blood or infection.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) released a report last year that showed that there are at least four factors driving this: a link to Kurdish identity, a religious imperative, social pressure, and an attempt to control a woman's sexuality.

"It's time for the regional government to step up to the plate and take concrete actions to eliminate this harmful practice because it simply won't go away on its own," said Nadya Khalife, HRW Middle East women's rights researcher.

It is estimated that more than 130 million women worldwide have undergone female genital mutilation (FGM), mainly in sub-Saharan Africa, western and southern Asia and parts of the Middle East.

It is not clear how a law, seeking to stop a practice that is not carried out though official means, would be enforced.

Kurdistan's health minister, Taher Hawrami, said authorities are distributing posters to promote awareness, but he said religious leaders should do more to end the practice.

"The clerics should take on the main role. People need to have better understanding of religion in order to give up this phenomenon."

The bill also seeks to curb fathers beating their children and forced marriages.

By Patrick Smith, contributions from Mohammed Abdul-Rahamn.
LH/PS

http://www.aknews.com/en/aknews/4/247351/

Back to top Go down

Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament Empty Re: Bill to ban female genital mutilation before parliament

Post by ctgal Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:03 pm

Sure hope this one passes. We lived in Ethiopia and Liberia for many, many years and saw the devastation it brings first hand.

ctgal

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum